Thursday 11 October 2012

VeganMoFO Post #6: I don't like Mondays; but I love Sundays ...


... absolutely love Sundays because I usually get to  "hang out" in the kitchen, my Iphone goes into the Docking Station to play my music (any Mother of four children will know why the "my" was underlined!). My music, however, does give rise to some amusement, I put all 1,300 songs onto random play and takes what comes, that's okay but with such an eclectic taste it has produced some interesting follow ons - a Georgian chant directly followed by Madonna's "Like a Virgin" was my personal favourite.

This Sunday was a a good day, first things first, and I make a batch of bread, nothing fancy, nothing elaborate just half white, half wholemeal bread with a recipe I can make in my sleep (and often do) the decision comes with 2 loaves, rolls or half and half? Today was a rolls day (it was a loaves day yesterday).
"Run of the Mill" Rolls
Duties done so now onto the fun stuff, I am in the pursuit of the perfect Vegan Sausage and Burger and most weekends I experiment, today was:

50g Pecans, toasted and chopped
1 Onion and 2 cloves of garlic, chopped and fried until soft but not coloured.
1 tin Green Lentils
1 500g pack Mushrooms, sliced
30mg Tomato Paste
10mg Italian Herbs
5mg Tarragon
1/2 cup Oats
15ml Tamari Soya Sauce

I have listed these as if I was very precise, I wasn't but this is roughly what went into them.

After frying the onions and garlic I added the mushroom and cooked until soft then added the tomato paste to take away any bitterness.
I put everything from the frying pan into the Food Processor with all the other ingredients except the Pecans, I processed until almost smooth and then added the Pecans which I stirred in with seasoning (it only needed Pepper).
I formed into 8 burgers and coated with Barley flour, thereby keeping it all Gluten Free, and into the fridge to firm up.

There were some Maris Piper Potatoes in the pantry to use up so I cut into cubes and steamed until almost cooked and then shook (more violently then was absolutely necessary!) to create nice rough edges and then flash fried in a little hot Olive Oil.
Pecan, Mushroom & Lentil Burgers with Sauteed Maris Pipers
It needed a sauce so I went for Chloe's "special" sauce with her Double Drive Burgers. This worked better than the last time I made it as I had bought some "Sweet Relish" from a site I had found www.americansweets.co.uk that sell lots of American products in the UK. (I have even bought some Graham Crackers as I had never worked out what they were!).
Sweet Relish, as it says on the jar.
Add a salad with whatever is in the fridge along with toasted Pumpkin and Sunflower seeds and dried cranberries et voila the perfect Sunday Lunch.
Sunday Salad
An afternoon snooze was obviously in order which left me refreshed and ready for Part 2, a batch of Mulligatawny Soup as a birthday present for a good friend at work who liked this soup when I made some years ago, he said it was similar to his Mother's which is always a killer, so I wanted to make it as nice as he had found it last time, not sure I did - quite - so I'm going for "it's the thought" on this one!
Also made two batches of cupcakes, the ubiquitous Banana with Lemon icing from Chloe Coscarelli made Gluten free and also her Coconut Cupcakes to which I added Pineapple juice to the icing with a slice of Pineapple on top to turn them into Pina Colada - success in a cupcake!
Pina Colada as a cupcake
Lovely, lovely day and now packing my case as tomorrow Kate (Female Offspring, remember her!) are Brighton bound.
Excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment