Thursday 11 October 2012

VeganMoFO Post #4 My name is Carol and I'm a Cookbook'holic



It’s been 2 days since my last purchase (although there are 2 on Pre-order with Amazon :-) )
Okay, I freely admit it’s an addiction BUT, I don’t smoke (last ciggie was June the 23rd, half past 11, 1986), I hardly drink (an absolute lightweight) and I don’t eat out at fancy restaurants (they don’t serve Vegan food) so, all in all, as addictions go, it’s not too bad at all. In fact I think it’s pretty good.
It’s the extent though, all in all I have, literally thousands of cookery books and if you look at  the history of my purchases on Amazon, it’s not the only place I buy from but it’s a good indicator of what’s happening in my life you can see a evolution. First there were lots from the “Celebrity” books and “technique”  genres moving onto Vegetarian, Macrobiotic, Ayurvedic, as I researched the options available to me  and then, eventually, you see the Vegan books move up from a trickle to a crescendo (I appreciate those words don’t really go together but they were the ones that sprung to mind).
I must admit that when I “turned” Vegan I thought,  naively as it turns out, that there couldn’t possibly be many Vegan only cookbooks so I may as well just buy them all  - soon changed my mind on that one!
When I started to prepare for MoFO I took out all of my Vegan only books and put them all together on the piano, thus:
The first 3 piles
and the second 3 piles
Yesterday afternoon I had the most wonderful time, there was a storm outside and there was work to be done for my job but I didn’t want to do it so I sat and catalogued all my Vegan Cookery books (there are 154 including 3 that fell down the back of the piano!). I organised by author, I looked in all of them and reacquainted myself with some old friends. You forget just how many Robin Robertson has written and they are still coming and how Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer spearheaded the concept that Vegan cooking and eating is FUN.Let’s not forget the blogs, good blogs are producing may good cookbooks, my last Amazon purchase was Vegan Crunk by Bianca Phillips where both blog and book prove my point.
My favourite book on the day has to have been “The Voluptuous Vegan”, I love the name it feels nice when you say it, the cover is alive and vibrant  so how could this book possibly be about a way of eating that is “austere”, “deficient” and “unhealthy”?  But, of course, we all know ……………………..
And today’s job? Finding a home to keep all my “friends” together and quickly too as I have nowhere to serve all the food!

No comments:

Post a Comment